Sunday 8 September 2013

GREECE: Greek Cuisine On The Test

Afytos might be small, but after the third day you realise that the food is similar in every restaurant. There are probably around 10 restaurants and all you get is the same food everywhere. I am not complaining that it is not tasty, I just wished to have different variations now and again. 


What I really liked was the baked feta cheese and the delicious, juicy, green olives. 



One of the must-tries is also sardine fish and the chicken stew, Souvlaki. My Greek friend told me that on every Greek table, an octopus is a must. The more sand on it, the more likely it is fresh, they say, but I'm not so sure. Also, they love spending hours and hours at the table and sharing different dish together. Ouzo is not necessarily a must on the table, but it goes nicely with the fish and makes you eat more. For beginners I would suggest mixing Ouzo with water to make it less strong. 


When you ask for the bill, it might be possible to wait for more than half an hour until the waiters come back. Not sure why that is or if they do not even want us to pay. As a little gift, they usually offer a dessert from the house for free.


I also realised that it is very difficult to find chicken Gyros, but we were lucky and found two places in a week where they had a Greek kebab. 



I had seen so many Greeks drinking a type of coffee with three layers, so I tried one as well. It was okay, but did not beat our Turkish mocha, I'm sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment