Thursday 6 June 2013

ISTANBUL: Different Country, Different Rules

Thursday, 10pm, Ataturk airport. We landed on time, but the queue, if we can actually call it a queue - people were just standing without any order in front of passport control. I looked to my right and saw the passport control for Turkish citizens, which was empty and had more stuff on each counter. I guess it took me at least 40 minutes to get through, which could have something to do with the recent protests in the city.

I got my luggage very quickly and went outside. First thing you recognize coming from London is the amount of people smoking in this country. Also people like staring at each other which I had to get used to. While I was waiting for my friend to pick me up, a bunch of youngsters came with a Turkish flag, singing and walking all together towards a place where a bus of more people joined them. I was wondering what that was and saw in the news later that prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan landed and, according to some media and citizens, received an arranged salutation from AKP followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment