Saturday 7 July 2012

AMSTERDAM: Sex, Drugs and Cycling


Hoi Amsterdam! I had planned my trip to Amsterdam for July as everyone I know had been already there and everyone is so fascinated by the city. I wanted to experience it with my own eyes, and so I booked a trip for 3 days. The first thing I observed was that there are actually roads designed solely for bikes. I guess that every Amsterdammer owns at least one bike. I even felt compelled to jump on one as everyone was cycling and it seems to be the best option to get around. Pedestrians and car drivers really need to be careful and keep their eyes open as they drive very fast and can show up suddenly. 


As soon as I walked towards the city I saw all the canals and the bridges. It is a very pretty city with its narrow streets and reminded me a bit of Venezia. I walked through the flower market and went into a cheese basement (Henri Willig, Cheese & More  and Kaaskelder) where they had all different types of Gouda




You could try the cheese and also the traditional caramalised Waffles. 


Next I went to Leidseplein which is a really cool place to hang out as it is always busy and all the bars and shops are there. I wanted to get a better view from Amsterdam so I went to the Blue bar. It gives you a 360-degree view of Amsterdam. 




On Saturday, me and my friends went first to the Noordermarkt and did a canal tour on a boat afterwards. It was so relaxing sitting in the boat with music and enjoying all the different parts of the city. It is actually quite challenging guiding a boat as the canals cross and big boats always have priority in traffic. 


For dinner we went to my friend's parents restaurant Villa Zomerdijk in Velsen-Zuid. It is about 45 minutes from the city, but worth the trip because it is so idyllic and the food is very unique. Another very good place for especially steak is Lotje Cafe. 


For the evening we went back to the centre, Leidseplein, and had a drink in the Palladium. Next we went to De Pijp which is great for bar hopping. 

On Sunday, I wanted to go to the Anne Frank Museum which is close to Westermarkt. There is always a huge queue in front. I made it in after 30 minutes of waiting and it was well worth it. 


Close to the museum is The Pancake Bakery which is also very good to visit. Unfortunately, I did not have time to go to the Van Gogh and Rijks museum








Next I went to Damstraat and headed to the Likeurstokerij Wijnand Fockink Opgericht for one drink and then to the Red Light District. The bar is well known for it's Gin in different flavours and the bar tenders who take their time to talk you through the different flavours. They are also very helpful in case you have any questions related to Amsterdam's history. 


I did not have the chance to see it by night, so I had to see it by day. We went through two narrow streets and watched the girls in the windows posing in their tiny suits. 
My next mission was to see, and try, a Coffee Shop


We went to one nearby and had a coffee there. I know, you usually do not go for a coffee, but it was just for a visit and to have a look at the menu. 


Another good hint for dinner is the Indonesian restaurant, Blauw. Waterlooplein is very cool for people who love vintage and second-hand things. 9 Straatjes, in Runstraat, is also great for shopping and Vondelpark for chilling out. If you want to spend a few days in a very nice luxurious hotel, I highly recommend the Conservatorium



Dank je wel Amsterdam, I had a lot of fun and Tot ziens!

No comments:

Post a Comment