Thursday 11 August 2011

Bog Hrvatska!

The weather in Munich was awful for the month of August, which is why I decided to plan my next trip to a country where I can discover new culture, food and landscapes. I chose Croatia, or Hrvatska, as the locals call it.
I arrived in Zagreb around lunch time and my friend Sandra was waiting for me, holding a board with my name on, decorated with chocolate. The capital was very calm, as people spent most of their time at the coast. We went directly into the oldest part of the city, Gornji Grad where we passed the Ban Jelačić Square, which is the central square. In Croatia the tram was the most commonly used public transport in the cities.
One of the attractions is the Mandusevac Fountain which has an important historical story behind it....one day a Croatian leader returned from battle and asked a girl for water from the fountain. The word for “scoop up water” is “zagrabiti” and hence the name Zagreb was used for the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment